Translate

Friday, March 16, 2018

Albert Sgaggero MSX Basic Collection (MSX part)

I may have spoiled the fun in my last post, but here I will go more into detail about the MSX stuff of Albert Sgaggero (BCO). When I started to collect his MSX listings, it was clear you could catalog them in the following sequence: 
 
* kaleidoscopes
Xmas demos
* games
* other demos
* tools




Most of the listings are not that long. The best parts are the Xmas demos, most of them are very colorful and original. The games are quite simple, the most finished one is 
Mr. MoneyEd. I didn't know you could create a whole game when you only have to press 'z' the whole time...

I mentioned the kaleidoscopes earlier, Albert Sgaggero made also a SCREEN 2 and SCREEN 3 variation, with some random notes playing, in a very clever way I never have seen before. 
From the other demos, I like the rectangles of ASCII characters in SCREEN 1 very much, cause until now I didn't know it was possible. And it's not slow either.

There were not many tools, but I like the simple sprite editor, although a self-generated sprite loader is missing. Now I can make a sprite, but I must figure out how to display it.

When I was finished collecting I put them on a 720 Kb MSX disk-image.
Enough programs so I started to create a menu program with a little color animation in it
and submenus.  It took more time than expected, cause not all listings worked as expected
and submenu's given me headaches.

In 1 listing Mr. MoneyEd (again) I got an "Out of data" error. First I blamed the creator to publish a listing with errors and try to fix them, by adding more data lines and change the intro-screen. When I looked at the video of the game on YouTube and checked the listing on the website http://fourseasons.altervista.org it was exactly the same listing! So where came the errors from? BCP used the é and the í to create money signs and walls, but when converting these characters from PC (website) to MSX (BlueMSX), MSX created from the é 2 very different graphics sign, same happened with í. I tried to find the é and í on my (emulated) MSX keyboard and changed the listing until it worked again.

All is fine now, so you can download the MSX disk with BCO stuff.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment